Quantachrome Instruments is very pleased to announce the launch of the ChemStar™ chemisorption and reactivity analyzer. The Chemstar™ adds a powerful new tool to Quantachrome Instruments’ line of chemisorption analyzers by providing fully automated flow capabilities along with high precision mass flow controllers to carry out built-in gas mixing, vapor introduction, calibrated loop injection, and all tasks with minimal operator intervention. The software performs a virtually unlimited number of programmable steps to extract valuable information about surface and catalytic properties of a sample, such as active and reactive surface areas, metal dispersion, nanocluster particle size, acid/base site distribution, and sorption energetics.
The ChemStar™ is ideally suited for the characterization of heterogeneous catalysts and related materials. Its fully programmable functions and robust design enable it to undertake both standard quality control evaluations and highly sophisticated R&D tasks with equal ease. Having ten (10) gas input ports and built-in gas blending and mixing capabilities via multiple high precision mass flow controllers gives the ChemStar™ superior flexibility among instruments that monitor changes in flowing gas or condensible vapor concentrations. Its heated lines and valves are coupled with a clamshell furnace capable of performing experiments up to 1,200 o C using easily programmable linear ramping, holding, and fast-cooling steps. Complementary features in alternative high pressure models add a new dimension to the ChemStar™ capabilities by enabling experiments to be performed at pressures up to 100 bar (10 MPa), in order to resemble more closely the actual conditions encountered by many catalytically active materials in industrial practice. In addition, the ChemStar’s safety and ergonomic design features were crafted for compliance with regulations practiced by leading industrial, academic, and government laboratories.
When you envision the need to carry out time-tested or pioneering techniques to enhance the properties and performance of your catalytically active materials, look for the ChemStar™ as a means to quantify your vision.
A powerful new tool has been added to Quantachrome’s lineup of flow chemisorption analyzers. The ChemStar™ is a fully automated instrument for the analysis of catalysts and other chemisorption applications. Its intuitive software interface allows the user to program and run a variety of temperature-programmed analyses as well as flow BET surface area determination and pulse titration experiments. Standard capabilities include:
- Temperature Programmed Desorption (TPD)
- Temperature Programmed Reduction (TPR)
- Temperature Programmed Oxidation (TPO)
- Temperature Programmed Reaction (TPRx)
- Catalyst Treatment
- Flow BET Surface Area
- Pulse Titration
- Pulse Calibration
Experimental conditions are fully programmable and up to 99 consecutive treatments and/or analyses can be strung together for completely unattended operation.
Features and Benefits
- Stable Baseline and Quality Data: Ensured by 3 standard (and 1 optional) highprecision electronic mass flow controllers with 0.08% thermal drift in the 0-50 cm3 /minrange.
- Reduced Peak Spreading: Dead volume is minimized through the use of 1/16” stainless steel tubing.
- Easy Loading and Unloading of Samples: By the use of a clamshell furnace with flexible mounting arrangement and sample cells covering a range of geometries for powders, pellets and cores.
- Wide Temperature Range: Ambient to 1200°C at programmable rates of 1°C/min to 30°C/min is standard. Optional subambient accessory extends the lower limit to -100°C.
- Condensation and Adsorbate Retention Eliminated: By controlling the temperature of all tubing and valves downstream of the sample up to the detector.
- Precise Measurements: Through the use of a highly linear Thermal Conductivity Detector (TCD), along with interchangeable loops, automated loop and manual pulse injection options.
- Wide Dynamic Range: Through software controlled detector resolution. Maximum Chemical Compatibility and Sensitivity: With choices of sealing materials and TCD filaments to suit the individual needs of each lab.
- No Need For Pre-Mixed Gases: A built-in gas blender with in-line static gas mixer provides custom-blended gases with exceptional homogeneity. This gas blender also allows for fully automated multi-point BET surface area analysis.
- Built-In Vapor Saturator: With controlled temperature for precise feed of condensable adsorptives.
- Unattended Operation: All functions of the experiment are fully automated and controlled by a PC, which also collects and stores the acquired data.
- Short Analysis Times and High Throughput: Enhanced by forced air cooling of the furnace.
- Ultimate Safety: Ventilated cabinet, support for gas sensors, interlocking doors, and front-mounted emergency kill switch are all available for optimal safety.
- Flexible User Interface: Windows® based software provides a flexible interface for setting up experiments, controlling instrument functions, and displaying data.
- Direct Link to Optional Mass Spectrometer and Additional Gas Detectors: For live displays of changes in gas composition data analysis.
- Ready To Use: The system is supplied complete and ready for operation.
World-class performance is ensured by designing to very stringent instrument specifications, thus providing the highest quality data.
- Typical Sample Size: 0.1 to 1.0 grams
- Standard Temperature Range: Ambient to 1200°C
- Optional Temperature Range : –100°C to 1200°C
- Temperature Ramp Rate: 1°C/min to 30°C/min
- Standard Operating Pressure (TPx units): Atmospheric
- Alternative Pressure Range (HP units): Up to 100 bar
- Gas Inputs (on standard TPx units): 4 carrier, 4 treatment, 2 blend
- Gas Flow Rates: 5 to 50 sccm
- Sample Cell Types: Quartz U-Tubes, BubbleTubes, Monolith Tubes
- Primary Detectors: 4-filament TCD with choice of material (W, Au/W)
- Flow Path Materials: 316 stainless steel, 1/16” tubing
- Seals: Viton, Buna-N, or Premium Seals
- Dimensions: Width: 56 cm (22”), Height: 60 cm (23.5”) Depth: 61 cm (24”)
Weight: 55 kg (120 lbs)
- Power Requirements: 100–120 or 220–240 VAC, single phase, 50/60 Hz