Product Category: Refractometers
Supplier: Rudolph Research Analytical
Automatic Refractometer, J357 Offers Highest Performance for Research Labs.
Designed as a research quality instrument the Rudolph J357 Automatic Digital Refractometer offers one of the highest measurement ranges of any instrument in the Rudolph refractometer product line. This instrument offers the same extra wide RI measurement range as our chemical industry refractometer models combined with the high accuracy of our food industry refractometer models. It also offers very powerful automatic electronic temperature control (heating and cooling) and is able to make RI and BRIX measurements at up to 120 °C. The J357 is a perfect choice for the most demanding pharmaceutical, chemical, petroleum, essential oils, fragrance and cosmetic refractometer users.
Simple Refractometer Operation
Operating the Automatic J357 is as simple as placing a sample on the artificial sapphire prism, closing the presser and reading the answer on the Digital Display — all in just a few seconds. There are no shadow lines to match and there is no eyepiece requiring any kind of operator determination or manual adjustment as is often necessary with ABBE Refractometers. When the “measure when stable mode” is selected, the J357 Refractometer automatically waits until the sample has been heated or cooled to a predefined temperature before initiating a measurement.
Dual Electronic Temperature Control to 120 °C
Unlike other temperature controlled refractometers, the J357 has temperature control from both above and below the sample. The sample cover is controlled to the same temperature as the prism and, when lowered, is designed to provide a temperature controlled micro environment that provides unrivaled temperature stability, fast measurement time and minimal evaporation. With the Auto Measure option, the sample cover can also be used to initiate measurement.
Optional Sample Presser
The Rudolph J357 is available with an optional Temperature Controlled Sample Presser that touches the sample. Compared with the standard temperature controlled cover, the optional presser reduces the empty volume of the measurement area thereby decreasing evaporation and at the same time helping to evenly spread semi solid materials over the measurement prism. This feature offers improved performance on many samples.
The J357 offers 1 point, 2 point or a full multi-point calibration. Calibration can be done at 20°C, 25°C or any user selectable temperature within the available range. Regardless of how many times the refractometer has been calibrated, it can always be restored to the initial factory calibration if required.
On-Board Custom Scales
The J357 Refractometer is available with 100 possible programmable scales. Custom scales can be set up in a few minutes. Simply enter 2, 6 or 10 data points of concentration and corresponding RI (refractive index) value, press Compute and the instrument creates a new custom scale.
High Durability Sapphire Prism
All Rudolph J series refractometers offer a sapphire prism for high mechanical and chemical durability. The sample well is acid resistant 316 stainless steel with a Techtron sealing ring. There is no lamp to change, the LED light source is guaranteed for 1,000,000 measurements.
A Refractometer that is Easy to Clean
No matter how good an automatic refractometer is, accurate results will only be obtained if the instrument is clean. The Rudolph J Series refractometers offer a flat, easy to clean prism that makes this process simple even with sticky samples like sugars, syrups, and petrochemicals.
Built In 21 CFR Part 11 Compliant Data Storage
Rudolph’s J357 refractometer is available with data storage on a removable media card. In 21 CFR Part 11 mode the data storage system provides a secure password system for storing raw data to comply with FDA specifications. When using non 21 CFR Part 11 mode the data storage system is a powerful tool for kinetics experiments and an excellent system for QA traceability and to help laboratories meet the requirements of ISO and similar quality systems.
A large 7.5cm x 10cm cold cathode florescent back lit graphics, digital LCD allows the scale, sample temperature, set temperature, air temperature, time, date and temperature correction status to be easily viewed. All functions are activated through a touchscreen panel which will not wear out or be misplaced like traditional or detachable keypads. The digital touchscreen is resistant to fingernails, sharp objects, chemicals, and acids.
No Water Bath Needed
Having Rudolph’s J357 fully automatic electronic temperature control means:
- A significant savings on bench space because the water bath is eliminated.
- Integrated temperature control where the instrument knows when to measure and records both the Refractive Index measurement and the temperature.
- Hot liquid from a bath can present a significant danger in the laboratory in the event of a split hose, the J357 doesn’t use liquid and thereby eliminates this risk.
- Eliminating the water bath removes the most maintenance intensive part of a Refractometer. Water baths need to be regularly filled, dosed with algaecide and cleaned.
Traceability & 21 CFR Part 11 Compliance
- All measurements are made automatically, which eliminates the need for operator judgment.
- Calibration with fluids traceable to NIST and calibration data securely stored and available for review.
- Temperature can be calibrated against a traceable thermometer.
- Operator Traceability, full 21 CFR Part 11 compliant password system.
- Verification step with electronic signature.
Permanent Record of All Measurements
In 21 CFR Part 11 mode, all measurements are automatically written to a secure data storage card. Who used the instrument, what they measured and when it was measured is permanently stored on a locked storage media card. The media card can also be used to transfer records to a computer for redundancy or “backup” purposes.
A Refractometer Suitable for a Wide Range of High Demand Environments
- Petroleum and Petrochemical Laboratories where the J357′s ability to measure at up to 100ºC without a water bath makes the instrument ideal for ASTM D1218, D1747 and D5006.
- Research Laboratories where the wide range and high accuracy of the Rudolph J357 means researchers have the maximum chance of measuring newly synthesized products.
- Central Research and Reference Laboratories where having the most accurate results available for setting standards for an organization or a country is needed.
- Chemical Laboratories can measure more viscous products with a level of accuracy previously available only in narrow range food instruments.
Refractometer J357 – Specifications
|J357 AUTOMATIC Specifications|
|Measurement Scales||Refractive Index (RI)
BRIX (% sucrose)
100 User Programmable Scales
|Measurement Range||1.26 – 1.70 RI,
0 – 100 BRIX
|Light Source||Light Emitting Diode (est. life: >100,000 hrs.)|
|Response Time||User configurable — generally less than 30 seconds|
|Communication Interface||Two RS232 ports
One parallel printer port
|Analog Control||0-10 volts, 4-20 mA|
|Temp. Control Range||15ºC – 100ºC
10ºC – 120ºC (optional)
|Temp. Sensor Accuracy||±0.05ºC|
|Ambient Temp. Limit||10ºC – 40ºC|
|Temp. Correction Range||18ºC – 80ºC (for pure sucrose solutions)|
|Temp. Measurement & Control||Prism surface and presser|
|Calibration||Using water or NIST traceable standards|
|Operating Dimensions||L: 15.5″ W: 10″ H: 4.5″ / 23 lbs.|
|Shipping Dimensions||L: 26″ W: 21″ H: 16″ / 30 lbs.|
|Power Requirements||100-240 volts, 50 Hz – 60 Hz|